Posted by Unknown in
piedmont park,
zen atlanta
Photo cred: Jason O'Donnell
Emerson once wrote about a place being a vernal wood and the impact that nature had upon the soul. Well Mr. Emerson I am not, but if you are looking for a place among the city where the sunset seems to last a little longer and the breeze seems more soothing and the view may not take your breath away but it is certain to be a placeholder in your mind for Atlanta for years to come, I may have what your looking for. It may be stating the obvious but Piedmont Park is this place.
Let me elaborate. It's not any puck of grass in that wonderful urban oasis that I am referring to. Slightly adjacent to Park Tavern the landscape rolls into a hill, moreover a Noll. A perfect escalation to view the parks activities, a treeline view of the city's soulful skyline and just hidden enough to fall in love. During any season you will find this quite retreat at the Park's south end. However in the twilight of summer, when the day is at its longest and the solstace as come and gone is when I believe I can capture Emerson's inspiration. I've been know to strike out on my bike at dusk just to arrive in time to find the orange and reds spilt over the clouds as the day comes to a close.
One of my all-time favorite moments was a fading spring afternoon this past year. I found myself with a blanket, a book, and one of the loveliest young ladies I'm sure that will ever come into my life. A lazy Sunday nestled us just at the edge of the hill. The crisp spring-soon-to-be-autumn air seemingly wrapped the blanket around us. As we lay there, her head resting upon my chest we let the reading aloud of our story take the afternoon. Between the heaven that I held in my arms and the heaven I saw, I suddenly understood the value of a moment and its fleeting beauty. Find your spot, or try mine, but either way find the beauty in every moment.

2 Response to Park it Emerson style
Such a romantic ;)
Buster, you must have inherited your wonderful ability to turn a phrase. I bet someone in your family encouraged you to express yourself as a child. I am truly impressed. You should post your thoughts with your real name.
Post a Comment